Thursday, March 28, 2013

There's Plenty of Room


On the same day that I learned about the existence of a certain Lovecraftian microbe, I also came across another apparent pop-culture-related name in a scientific  discipline–a Paleolithic archaeological site in the mountains of Spain called Hotel California.  This is presumably a reference to the famous Eagles song of the same name.  I haven't been able to find out why the site has that name, especially since most online discussions of it are in Spanish.  My only guess is that, assuming that you're one of the skeletons there, you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.  But that would be true of any archaeological site.  And I don't even know whether Hotel California even has any human bones.   

I should perhaps point out here that I have never been a fan of the Eagles, nor am I much of a fan of the solo music of Don Henley, with the exception of the Building the Perfect Beast album, which was an unaccountable work of genius, and a major force in my middle school musical life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment