Saturday, December 30, 2017

Christmas Music Contradiction


Christmas itself is passed, but I think that by most people’s accounting, we are still in the Christmas season (although Christmas music is no longer being played on the radio).

One popular modern Christmas song is “Please Come Home for Christmas”, the first version of which was sung by Charles Brown in 1960.  It has since been recorded by musicians ranging from Willie Nelson to Kelly Clarkson, but the most famous version, which I hear every year, was released in 1978 by the Eagles.  

  There is a huge internal contradiction in the lyrics that bothers me every time that I hear it.  

Starting with the first four lines of the song, we have:

  Bells will be ringing this sad sad news
  Oh what a Christmas to have the blues
  My baby’s gone I have no friends
  To wish me greetings once again

Then we get to lines ten and eleven:

  Friends and relations send salutations 
  Sure as the stars shine above

  But how can friends send salutations to the narrator of the song if, as we learned in the third line, HE HAS NO FRIENDS??!?



1 comment:

  1. Maybe it's a general statement, friends and relations *do* send salutations, just not to him.

    ReplyDelete