Sunday, December 22, 2019

Sartorial Cats



Midnight
And the kitties are sleeping
Downstairs by the furnace
While birdies are cheeping

—David Letterman, back when he was funny


The movie Cats, based on the long-running musical of the same name, is out now.  Realistically, there is no chance of me seeing this movie.  I am not a fan of musical theater.  And I’m not really all that fond of cats either.  Indeed, over the last twenty years I have, for the most part, only seen movies which fulfill one of the following criteria:

*Star Wars

*Lord of the Rings


However, like most people with internet access, I have been watching the trailers for Cats to marvel at how bizarre they are.  There are many oddities on which to comment, but the question that stands out for me is why some of the cats wear clothes, and others don’t.  Obviously, cats don’t wear clothes in the real world.  I have never come across a cat smartly dressed in a three-piece suit.  Evidently, for the cats of Cats, clothing is not obligatory, as it is in human society.  What factors, then, determine whether a cat is clothed? Does the clothing serve some practical function?  Or is it an indicator of social status?  Or is it simply a fashion choice?

And, ultimately, I don’t really care about any of it.  And so, you might ask, why am I writing this?  I want to boost my total number of blog posts for 2019 while I still have the chance, and it is a lot easier to write about irrelevant pop-culture items like this than about anything more substantial.  




No comments:

Post a Comment