Friday, October 27, 2023

Halloween Listening I


It’s the Halloween season, which means that radios and the piped-in music systems of supermarkets are giving us endless repetitions of “Thriller” and the theme from Ghostbusters.  I want something a little different, though. I’ve always preferred songs for Halloween where the music itself sets a scary mood, and not just pop songs that happen to mention something supernatural. 


Many years ago, when I wrote blog items for Marc Brush’s now-defunct Wandering Army site, I addressed the topic.  (You can read that post here, on my other blog, where I put up some of my old Wandering Army writings.)


I’m returning to that subject here, using the magic of YouTube video embedding, to recommend a few specific songs for your listening pleasure, or perhaps your listening terror, or at least vague listening unease.


We’ll start with one of a my favorite bands, a band known for their mastery of musical darkness, the Doors. They have a lot of strong Halloween contenders, like “Riders on the Storm”, “Strange Days”, and “End of the Night”.


But my vote for their scariest (and one of the scariest of all time) is “Not to Touch the Earth”, which is like listening to someone’s nightmare unfolding in real time:






 

No comments:

Post a Comment