Friday, September 21, 2012

Three Weeks into September


It's hard to believe that it's twenty-one days into September. Not only is summer gone, but fall is already more than one-sixth over.  (I go by meteorological summer, and not astronomical summer, as I mentioned earlier.)  Now the air grows cool and the evenings grow dark; this spooky time of year makes me think that I should write a scary story, and try to get it published.  And some years I will start a story, but I never finish it, because I don't have the energy, and I don't really have any stories to tell.  

It always makes me a little sad when the summer ends.  It might be because the kids have to go back to school, and I  can still remember what it's like to have three months of freedom, and then feel it slip away.  But maybe more than that, I know that the end of summer means that the season for reptile and amphibian observations will be coming to an end soon.  I am happy to say that I did meet one of my herpetological goals for the summer.  I had my first field encounter with the Green Treefrog (Hyla cinerea).  I didn't see any, but I heard them calling one night at Huntley Meadows in Fairfax County.  I made some audio recordings, and maybe one day I will figure out if it's possible to post them on the blog.  

No comments:

Post a Comment